The following policies apply whenever a child is on medicine, prescription or over-the-counter:
- The school must have a dated note from the prescribing physician which includes:
- Student’s name
- Name, signature and contact number of the licensed prescriber
- Name, route, dosage and frequency of time of medication
- Diagnosis (if not a violation of confidentially)
- A physician’s order MUST accompany EVERY medication, including over-the-counter medications.
- The school must have a note signed by the parent/guardian giving permission for the child to take the medication in school.
- No more than one month’s supply of medication should be given to the nurse at one time.
- All medication should be sent in the original container with the child’s name written on it.