Mason Elementary School recognizes the relationship of proper nutrition, physical activity, and the success of our students academically. We are committed to promoting wellness and academic performance in our school through curriculum, activities, and life skills. Our goal, as always, is to also ensure the safety and wellness of all our students.
The school and its staff are responsible for the promotion of the education process, including maintaining the health and safety of all our students. Healthy snacks are encouraged at Mason Elementary School as a mainstay in the overall promotion of health. Frequent celebrations with cookies, cupcakes, and other treats are not in keeping with these learning goals.
We do have several students and occasionally staff members with dietary allergies or both dietary and religious restrictions that do not allow them to be able to participate in food related celebrations. Many parents do not wish their children to be eating items not supplied by them or by confirmed sources. There are also potential health risks for illness due to contamination with consumption of homemade items. Due to this, we have adopted a new procedure that will enable all students to be safe and healthy during any celebrations in the classrooms.
We will still allow classroom celebrations, though with modifications to ensure the safety and overall health and well being of our students.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the principal or school nurse, at any time during the school day.
Food and Party Procedure
Holiday/Class Parties School Wide
- No foods in classrooms as an option for birthdays.
- Specific sign-up sheets for all classroom parties/holidays.
- Teacher is responsible for adhering to sign up sheet.
- One sugary treat and the rest healthy treats.
- All sugary treats must be in individual servings (ie: cupcakes or cookies.)
- Room Parent (party coordinator) will oversee the sign ups and designate parents as to
what food they will provide. Email “reply all: for what is available for foods at party.
- There should be one week notice from the sign up sheet.
- Teacher is responsible for providing food list to Nurse and/or parent if appropriate for
specific health need in classroom.
- No food offered as a prize/reward for any occasion.
- Non consumption food related activities are restricted, specific to health needs in
respective classrooms (ie: counting activities, science projects, etc…).
Suggested Donations for Classroom Parties
- Paper plates , napkins, cups, water bottles,
- Cheese sticks, pepperoni, crackers, yogurt cups/gogurts, granola, pretzels, popcorn, cupcakes, cookies
- Fruit, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery, hummus/dip for veggies, raisins