Mason Elementary School recognizes that the physical and emotional health of our students is essential to their social and academic success. We recognize that “wellness” is achieved through proper nutrition, physical activity, and emotional growth. We are committed to creating and maintaining a school environment that promotes wellness at all levels: In the classroom, on the athletic field, in staff offices, in the cafeteria, on the playground, and at in-school and after school activities. Through a cooperative effort among teachers, administrators, food service professionals, school nurses, physical and health educators, counselors, parents and students, we believe we can help our students achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle that will enhance their lives in school and at home.
The school and its staff are responsible for the promotion of the education process, including maintaining the health and safety of all our students. Healthy snacks are encouraged at Mason Elementary School as a mainstay in the overall promotion of health. Frequent celebrations with cookies, cupcakes, and other treats are not in keeping with these learning goals.
We do have several students and occasionally staff members with dietary allergies or both dietary and religious restrictions that do not allow them to be able to participate in food related celebrations. Many parents do not wish their children to be eating items not supplied by them or by confirmed sources. There are also potential health risks for illness due to contamination with consumption of homemade items. Due to this, we have adopted a new procedure that will enable all students to be safe and healthy during any celebrations in the classrooms.
We will still allow classroom celebrations, though with modifications to ensure the safety and overall health and well being of our students.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the principal or school nurse, at any time during the school day. To view the complete policy click here: JLCF – Wellness Policy
Food and Party Procedure
Holiday/Class Parties School Wide
- No foods in classrooms as an option for birthdays.
- Specific sign-up sheets for all classroom parties/holidays.
- Teacher is responsible for adhering to sign up sheet.
- One sugary treat and the rest healthy treats.
- All sugary treats must be in individual servings (ie: cupcakes or cookies.)
- Room Parent (party coordinator) will oversee the sign ups and designate parents as to
what food they will provide. Email “reply all: for what is available for foods at party.
- There should be one week notice from the sign up sheet.
- Teacher is responsible for providing food list to Nurse and/or parent if appropriate for
specific health need in classroom.
- No food offered as a prize/reward for any occasion.
- Non consumption food related activities are restricted, specific to health needs in
respective classrooms (ie: counting activities, science projects, etc…).