The following policies apply whenever a child is on prescription medicine the school must have:
- A dated note from the prescribing physician including:
- Student’s name, and date of birth
- Name, signature and contact number of the licensed prescriber
- Name, route, dosage and frequency of time of medication
- Diagnosis (if not a violation of confidentially)
- End date for administration of medication
- A physician’s order MUST accompany EVERY prescription medication.
- A note signed by the parent/guardian giving permission for the child to take the medication in school.
- No more than one month’s supply of medication should be given to the nurse at one time.
- All medication needs to be sent in the original container with the child’s name written on it.
If a child needs over the counter medication, parent authorization/signature is required prior to administration.